Six Years a Growing: get the picture?

On this day 6 years ago, Mrs Dirt-digger was one of the first plot holders to turn a sod in the then newly opened walled garden allotments in St Anne’s Park in Dublin. We took possession of our keys on 3rd July that year, and sooner than attempt a verbose essay on our experiences during that six year period, we’ve decided to post a little photo journey of our challenges and achievements to date, and over the coming days we’ll update the scrapbook with more images…

So, day 1, July 2010…

Day Number 1
The 1st day 2010
Day 1
plot 77; our original small holding
November 2012
Our new plot in November 2012
plot 49
We took charge of an overgrown corner on Nov. 1st 2012
the first mecnanical
The Monster’s new name tag; summer 2013
Plot 49 with summer colour
Plot 49 with summer colour
The "beamer" on plot 49
The “beamer” on plot 49
The Monster's Gift
some summer harvest from The Monster’s Mouth in summer 2013
IMAG1371
The ladies left the hive and set up shop on our beam bench…
Drying the onions July 2014
Drying the onions July 2014
curing the shallots july 2014
curing the shallots July 2014
Basil and Tomato plants in the polytunnel
Basil and Tomato plants in the polytunnel
Summer time flush on plot 49...2015
Summer time flush on plot 49…2015
early summer on the monster in the corner
Early summer on the monster in the corner…
May 2016
Mrs Dirtdigger on the Monster May 2016
Dimpled Golfus...
Time to Tag with the balls…
June 2016 on Plot 49
one small corner of the plot that is the Monster…June 2016
most photos courtesy Janette

 

The Monster’s ‘Rude Mechanical’ 2016

We here on Monster in the Corner always like a challenge, and never more so than in maintaining the Monster’s mantra of reducing, reusing and recycling.
When first we encountered the overgrown eyesore that was our allotment plot almost 4 years ago we knew we’d have our work cut out in trying to clear and cultivate it, but once we had achieved this we started to think on how to develop a character for our plot.
Where other plot holders had bought metal plates and wooden plaques with numbers on, or, as in some cases still had the original 12” corrie-board plot number signs pegged in the ground by the council to demarcate each allotment, we decided on something different.
For three years we used a large log, sourced from a tree felled by winter storms, and onto this we placed the Monster’s call sign i.e. 49, and for good measure – and also because my daughter bought it as a gift to the plot- we had a small bug hotel pinned to the log. This ‘rude mechanical’ as we called it, was always one of the talking points of the larger walled garden and helped set the early scene for the way the Monster in the Corner would develop over the years.

The Monster's Original Mechanical ON PLOT 49
The Monster’s Original Mechanical ON PLOT 49

However, three wet and stormy winters always take a toll and this spring the Monster’s mechanical was looking forlorn to say the least. It was time for a change, and as such a challenge. Sooner than simply replace like with like, we decided we’d try to plant-up the plot’s designation, a living floral mechanical if you like, but also to incorporate –as is our practice- some element of recycling. So, with a spare wheelbarrow, a large hole, 4 square yards of dirt and a slow but steady supply of Dimpled Golfus (golf balls from the adjoining park golf course see post of 6th May) we set about this year’s rude mechanical…

Burying the Barrow
Burying the Barrow…
Spilling the Barrow...
Spilling the Barrow…
Dimpled Golfus...
Time to Tag with the balls…
Setting the balls...
Setting the balls…

We’ve had to wait for some of the initial bedding to fill-out in order to mark the template, and the deterioration in sunshine levels together with increased rain the last 20 days have slowed the blooming scheme a little, but here’s hoping it will colour up by mid July…

The Monster's Rude Mechanical 2016
The Monster’s Rude Mechanical 2016

More to follow!!!!!